Barley Water is made out of barley. It is regarded as one of the oldest grains in the world. It is consumed in some cultures due to the wide range of health benefits it offers. Let us help you understand the health benefits of barley water.
Barley or Hordeum Vulgare is a typical member of the grass family with its origins in Eurasia. In India, Barley is regarded as an important cereal crop. Cultivation of barley in the country significantly takes places in areas of Rajasthan, Punjab, Haryana, and UP.
Is It Good to Drink Barley Water Daily?
In a study report, it is observed that consuming around 60 grams of Barley (in the form of barley water) every day increases a beneficial type of bacteria in your gut. It helps in reducing inflammation and improving balance in blood sugar levels.
Therefore, if you wish to imbibe the health benefits of barley water, you can consider drinking barley water daily for optimum health.
Top 10 Health Benefits Of Barley Water
Barley is one of the healthiest grain crops. Read the list of exciting health benefits that barley water provides to your body.
1) Supports Weight Loss – Barley water is high in fibre and is loaded with vitamins. It is considered the best drink for digestion and increasing the metabolism rates. For weight loss, it is suggested to drink at least 3 cups of barley water.
2) Stops urinary tract infections – Drinking barley water helps to increase urination which flushes out all the toxins from your body. You can boil a tablespoon of barley seeds in 4 cups of water and leave it to boil until it reduces to 2 cups of water. Allow it to cool and then drink it. All your infections will vanish in one go.
3) Cools Body Temperature – The main reason people drink barley water in summers is because of its cooling effects. It cools your body instantly and reduces stress on your body.
4) Heart Healthy – Barley water is rich in vitamin B which helps in reducing the harmful effects of atherosclerosis, a condition characterized by thickening of arterial walls that puts blood flow at risk. It helps to reduce blood pressure that contributes to cardiovascular diseases.
5) Supports Immune System – Barley water has high levels of iron, vitamin C, copper, and manganese. With a plethora of nutrients, barley can help to boost your immune system.
6) Reduces Cholesterol – Barley water is considered to be the best for reducing cholesterol levels. It also helps to reduce the risk of heart diseases.
7) Controls Diabetes – Barley water helps in stabilizing glucose levels in the body. It absorbs glucose from the food we consume and reduces the rise of glucose and insulin. Phytochemicals present in barley are beneficial for controlling diabetes and heart diseases.
8) Helps in digestion – Barley water is considered to be the best drink for intestinal health and promotes digestion. Regular consumption of barley can helps to treat digestive problems like constipation, hemorrhoids and gastritis from its root.
9) Great for skin – Barley water can help you get glowing and nourishing skin as it flushes out all the toxins from the body.Azelaic acid a compound, present in barley helps to treat mild to moderate acne.
10) Cleanses the kidney – It helps cleanse the kidneys and is also used for treating issues such as cystitis, kidney stones and high creatinine levels.
How to Make Barley Water?
It is easy to obtain the nutritional value of barley water. Most individuals add extra flavours like lemon to impart the liquid a better taste. The steps to follow to make barley water:
- Rinse barley under cold water
- In a saucepan, put barley along with lemon peel and 6 cups of water
- Bring the entire mixture to a boil
- Simmer for around 10-15 minutes after turning down the heat
- Strain the mixture in a bowl and set barley aside
- Stir in honey for better taste
- Pour into bottles and refrigerate
Barley is indeed a superfood. Once you know the recipe and the best time to drink barley water, you can imbibe its wide range of health benefits.